D. Hunter Polvi
The key is not the 'will to win'...everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.
- Bob Knight
Mr. Polvi focuses his practice in the areas of financial services litigation, representing broker-dealer, asset management, banking, and energy companies, as well as, individuals in lawsuits before Texas federal and state courts and in arbitrations before arbitration panels. Mr. Polvi represents clients in matters related to breach-of-fiduciary-duty claims, suitability claims, business torts (including securities fraud and other fraud), claims arising from disputes between partners or LLC members, professional malpractice claims, and claims related to violations of FINRA Rules, federal securities laws, and Texas securities laws. Other matters include efforts to enforce creditors’ rights, conflicts between employers and employees, owner disputes, claims against corporate officers and directors, and protection of client rights to trade secrets and confidential data.
Mr. Polvi has tried multiple cases first-chair and has trial experience handling matters to verdict/judgment in state and federal courts. He has experience in all aspects of preparing a matter for trial, including discovery, deposing fact and expert witnesses, preparing and presenting witnesses for deposition and drafting and arguing dispositive motions.
Mr. Polvi’s recent accomplishments include:
- Obtained abatement of all claims brought against one of the largest financial services institutions in the U.S. in international estate administration dispute where institution was custodian of all remaining estate assets.
- Obtained summary judgment in Texas federal court on behalf of investment conglomerate against limited partnership regarding claim for accounting versus inspection of books and records.
- Represented owner in dispute between shareholders of aviation company that included claims for money laundering, fraud, and insurance fraud for several crashed aircraft.
- Represented investors in securities fraud case arising out of U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission litigation where criminal defendant plead guilty to securities fraud, aiding, abetting, and tax evasion. Investors brought claims against fraudster and accounting company for misappropriation of over $80MM in company funds.
- Represented defendant against claims brought by the Department of Justice for violation of the Anti-Kickback Statute and other related healthcare fraud claims.
- Represented President and CEO of Fortune 500 company in dispute involving non-payment of severance benefits under an ERISA voluntary separation program with a result favorable to client.
- Represented business owners in accounting malpractice suit where accountants failed to properly account for substantial tax liability in valuation of sale of company.
- Defended corporate entity in oil and gas matter in West Texas against various producer seeking a Temporary Restraining Order and Temporary Injunction. Efforts included preparing emergency discovery, emergency depositions, and extensive trial preparation.
- Represented top lessors seeking pre-suit discovery to determine profitability and operational status of oil and gas wells.
- Represented mineral owners in title dispute cases where mineral owners were seeking to recover marketable title when operator no longer owned clear title to property because the lease had failed to produce in paying quantities.
- Represented multiple oil and gas entities in top leases against operators in failure to produce in paying quantities disputes involving hundreds of acres of mineral rights in Permian Basin.
- Won first-chair jury in Texas state court regarding claims for negligence, obtaining a verdict that tripled the last offer made prior to trial.
- Deputized as Special Prosecutor for the State of Texas -successfully tried (and won) criminal cases as first- and second-chair prosecutor.
- Successfully tried first-chair bench trial in Texas state court regarding property damage and tort claims.
- Represented business owners engaged in complex commercial transaction stemming from development and lease of commercial real estate.
- Represented over 100 clients in multi-defendant fertilizer plant explosion case that resulted in 15 deaths, 160+ injured, and 150 buildings damaged or destroyed.
- Won hip implant trial as part of trial team in federal court, resulting in a $502MM verdict for clients.
- Obtained favorable settlement in a push-pull buy out dispute that alleged breaches of fiduciary duties between co-owners of a Texas franchise.
- Represented various clients in D TPA violations ranging from fraud and misrepresentations to breach of warranty.
- Represented clients in fraud, securities fraud, accounting malpractice and employment severance benefits matters.
J.D., Baylor University School of Law, 2012
Magna Cum Laude, Valedictorian
Baylor Law Review
B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin, 2009
Summa Cum Laude, Valedictorian
State Bar of Texas
Licensed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Dallas Bar Association
Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
Dallas Association of Young Lawyers’ Judiciary Committee